Polly's chocolate encounter

Polly is a 13 year old Labrador who took a liking to a very tasty block of dark chocolate. Caught in the action, Polly's owners brought her into see us after she had consumed a quarter of the block.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats because of the component "Theobromine"; the darker the chocolate the more theobromine and therefore more toxic. You are most likely to see signs within 12 hours or less which are: trembling and excitement, vomiting or diarrhea, excessive thirst, muscle spasms and seizures. Treatment is most effective within the first hour of ingestion so it is important to get to a vet clinic as soon as possible. 

Polly is doing well at home and has had a good recovery due to her owners taking immediate action.

With Easter here, it's a timely reminder to beware of the temptations of chocolate to our four legged friends.

Share