Ace's chocolate toxicity story

Dr Cathy and Nurse Penny were working a Saturday shift when they received a call about a cheeky Labrador called Ace.  Ace’s mum was doing some tidying up at home and came across some yummy chocolate truffles left over from Christmas.  She put them on the counter to be eaten later.  Well, Ace had other plans and as soon as his mum left the room he went straight for the box and ate them all.  In total it was suspected that Ace had eaten 5 milk chocolate squares and 10 of the rich dark chocolate truffles.

We advised that Ace would need to be brought down straight away and made to vomit so his body doesn’t have a chance to absorb the nasty Theobromine contained in chocolate.

As soon as Ace arrived Dr Cathy gave him a quick assessment with his owner before whisking him to our hospital where she gave him a special drug to induce vomiting.

Poor Ace started to feel the effects and soon his precious chocolate was safely out.  He was closely monitored during this process to ensure he didn’t aspirate on his vomit or try to eat it back up again, yuck!

Once it was confirmed that all the chocolate was out, Ace was given a second drug to re-settle his tummy.  Ace felt quite drowsy and lethargic after his ordeal and was advised to rest for the rest of the afternoon.

Luckily for Ace, his mum was home and knew straight away that he had eaten the chocolate and we could rectify the problem ASAP.

For the best results, vomiting should be induced within 30minutes of ingestion.  If your pet has eaten chocolate try to get them treated as soon as possible, before any of the Theobromine is absorbed.

Signs that your pet may experience from chocolate toxicity are:

  • Increased thirst
  • Panting and restlessness
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Excessive urination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Muscle tremors
  • Occasionally seizuring

With Easter upon us be sure to keep all chocolate and chocolate based produces out of reach from your pets.

Ace made a full recovery, but his owner is sure he hasn’t learnt his lesson, so will keep a very close eye on him...Cheeky Boy!

Learn more about chocolate toxicity in pets