Lucy's Friday Night Binge

Lucy the 7yo Beagle was rushed into the clinic on a Friday night, just as we were closing, after her owner realised she had eaten a 250g tub full of Trail Mix Nuts & Raisins!

When ingested some variety of nuts such as macadamia nuts, as well as grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs and must be treated promptly.

Grapes and dried grapes (raisins) when ingested and can be fatally toxic to dogs. The exact cause of the toxicity is unknown but even the smallest amount can be deadly causing sudden acute kidney failure. Symptoms include vomiting/diarrhoea, weakness, lack of urination, abdominal pain and dehydration. Grapes are not dose dependent which means one dog could eat many grapes and show no symptoms yet another dog may eat only a single grape and result in kidney failure or death, therefore we recommended that they should never be ingested.

Macadamia nuts can cause symptoms such as weakness, vomiting, hyperthermia, tremors, abdominal pain and paralysis. Symptoms are usually visible within 12 hours of ingestion and although not usually fatal can be very distressing and painful for the dog. The exact cause of the toxicity of macadamia nuts is currently unknown and dogs are the only known species to suffer these side effects when ingested

For the treatment of ingested toxic items it is vital to act quickly. Immediate action should be taken to take your dog to a vet so vomiting can be induced before the toxins can be absorbed by the body. After vomiting has been induced the dog may also be put on intravenous fluids to help flush the system and hydrate them as well as some pain relief if applicable. Follow up blood tests are also recommended to see if any organ damage occurred. 

Luckily for Lucy her owner brought her straight into the clinic after realizing she had eaten the trail mix and we were able to induce vomiting in time. Had it been left unattended Lucy's Friday night binge may have been fatal. Lucy is completely healthy and back to  her normal bouncy and bubbly self. We hope she has learnt her lesson to stay clear of any late night snacking on nuts and raisins.

Share